Thursday, March 27, 2008

When do people outgrow preteen crushes??

I live in New York. I'm an actress in New York. I live with other actors and actresses in New York. I have seen big names in the subway, local bars, and passed them in crosswalks. I do NOT get "star-struck." They are just people. Very successful and talented people. But still, just people.


Today Jenny and I met up by Grand Central Station and decided to walk above ground back to the Port Authority Bus Station to get home. So there I am loudly recounting an audition I had in the afternoon when suddenly she leans towards me and says "you are going to shit your pants, but Ryan Gosling is standing to your left." Now... I have had a celebrity crush on Mr. Gosling ever since he played the goofball on the short lived TV Series Breaker High. I have been highly impressed with his recent work- especially Lars and the Real Girl. And I'm sure if we had access to the Disney Channel growing up (thanks mom....) my crush would have started with his role as a Mousekateer. This person that I have adored from afar since Jr. High was standing right next to me at a cross walk having a serious conversation with a man who had beautiful silver gray hair. This is the time to be cool......













Did I walk coyly up to the corner where he was standing and 'accidently' bump him? Turn to apologize and make full eye contact? Introduce myself and tell him I think he's handsome and talented? Walk away calmly? Did I pull out any friendly, nonchalant technique that I have used to communicate with attractive guys in the past?


.............



NO! NO I DID NOT! They crossed the street and I grabbed Jenny's jacket and dragged her across the street in their direction. We walked quickly past them talking animatedly with our hands, giggling like schoolgirls, sneaking quick glances back to see if we could make eye contact. When we finally lost them, Jenny and I got on our classy bus (the kind with duct-taped seats) and chatted all the way home about how, if he knew us, he would fall in love. And how, when we make a movie with him we're going to talk to him as equals. But mostly we chatted about how crazy we had acted and how often he must get that kind of response from 20-something year old women.



















We tried to be cool and failed 100%. I think I'm ready to watch the Notebook and bawl my eyes out.

~B

2 comments:

Lunasea said...

Note: People *never* outgrow teen crushes. It's still really cool to get within 10 feet of them when you're 40.

Beastarzmom said...

Hey - next time you see him, tell him your mom just LOVES him and would love his autograph. That'll get you a phone number for sure!!!
hee hee.