Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Sometimes you can't say "I meant to do that"

Last night Jenny wasn't feeling well and I was home late so we both decided we wanted pasta- an "easy" dish.... riiiiiiight.


I make the pasta and defrost the meat (for bolognese sauce) and I season and brown the meat and throw in some mushrooms just for kicks. Now I'm ready for the red sauce. Take the jar out of the refrigerater and can't open it.... I call in the reinforcements. Jenny can't open it either. So she decides we need to put it in the microwave for about 20 sec. Then we try again. Still no dice. The meat is cooling on the stove, the pasta is sitting in the strainer. The pressure is on.
WE NEED TO OPEN THIS JAR!

I learned a trick from all those years living with my parents who (let's face it) never made anything from scratch. I take a knife and start rapping it against the edge of the cap while holding it upside down. It always worked back at home.

What was it we learned in 5th grade science class about glass and hot and cold?? Contraction/Expansion? I forget.....



EXHIBIT A: The Jar
EXHIBIT B: My Pants & Shoes




EXHIBIT C: ............There are no words.................




And so, your honor, we ended up with a cream sauce that was delicious, but decidedly un-red...


~B

4 comments:

Beastarzmom said...

OK. Let's go through this again.
1. Scratch - yes, once or twice. (remember my avocado mango chicken? minicina? stroganoff?) But why, when there are all these other great options out there?
2. You use the knife on the jar lid BEFORE YOU HEAT anything! Jar must be open before heating.
3. Jar is held UPRIGHT when using said knife on lid. If you somehow manage to knock lid off with knife and jar is upside down, end result is similar to explosion you experienced.
4. Love the pant/shoes. Nice color coordination.
5. The 3rd verse of Twinkle Twinkle Little Star IS made up. No one else will know it except you. But isn't it cute?

Lunasea said...

Yeah, I don't know where you got the "holding the jar upside down" idea. You always rap on it when it's right side up. Of course, then it might have exploded all over your face, which could have been worse.

How'd you make the white sauce? That looks good.

Broadway Bloopers said...

Thanks for the clarification ladies... a little late though.

Cream Sauce: I took the meat and mushrooms and put some butter, a little cream, parmesian, and garlic salt in the pan- simmered until sauce was almost all inside the meat and mushrooms and poured over pasta. Then added Oregano and fresh Parm. Done and Delicious.


And I'm still mad about Twinkle Twinkle..... Why must you make me look silly in front of my public??
~B

jmama said...

Loved the pics - you can run just the lid under hot water too, and that will loosen it enough to open. Can't help being a MOM!