Saturday, January 26, 2008

Todesterday

In just a few short Weehawken weeks, Jenny and I have discovered the modern day phenomenon of todesterday- the awkward time of day between today and yesterday when you don't really know when to say "yesterday," "today," or "tomorrow."

For the extremely intelligent and lovable roommates, unfortunately, todesterday is usually an accidental occurrence. Like yester- I mean today for instance when we went to meet up with friends at 5pm in the city and accidentally stayed out until 7am. WHOOPS!

Of course, it couldn't just be as easy as that. We were actually in the bus ready to come home around 5:15 after hitting up about 5 bars/clubs and one 24 hour diner with our new Staten Island buddies. Then we waited. and waited. and waited at Port Authority for the bus driver to leave. It was approximately 45 min before one guy on the bus went up to the driver and said "if I give you a $20 will you go??" and the driver gave in. Thank God.

So we're on the way home and we tell the driver to drop us off at our street. We were the last people on the bus and the driver offered "door to door service for a few extra dollars" and the ever-charming "I'll mix you a drink and tuck you in for $5." Nothing but class for us friends, nothing but class. And then he drops us off at a street that looks nothing like our area. We get back on and tell him the street and cross-street one more time and he says "Oh no! You took the wrong bus!" which is exactly what you want to hear at 6:15am right? Like a madman he crosses into a lane of oncoming traffic next to a different bus and tells him where we need to go. We get out in the middle of the street and get into the other bus where we have to ride about 45 blocks with people heading to work to get even close to our area and then walk another 7 blocks to our front door. The supreme walk of shame. Don't worry, we dig it.

Apparently todesterday is a common occurrence here in New Yorksey. Do you think that everybody's todesterdays are as awesome as ours? I think not.

~B

5 comments:

Beastarzmom said...

no, I am NOT worried.

I swear.

Lunasea said...

I read this and said, Ooooh, your mom's gonna love this one! Hahaha

So the bus driver pocketed the $20? I wouldn't have known about the extra "fees" either.

erin said...

I'm loving living vicariously through you ladies! keep up the blog - it's awesome.

GM said...

Hi J,
your adventures could cause a few grey hair for those close to you. I have a hunch I will be learning a lot. so happy you found a home and are moving up. watch out for the bus drivers and those salsa dancers. when you get really bored come to AK.

Sarah said...

I think I once had a nightmare just like this.