Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Dear God, I'd like to apply for an extension?

Nobody told me that in "grown up" world time goes shooting by.
Now I get it.
All those times people said, "They grow up so fast" or, "I remember it like it was yesterday."
I get it. Well, I get in an I don't have a kid kind of way.
Suddenly it seems like there is no time, but I can't seem to point out where it went or what I'm doing that's taking up so much of it so I figured I'd lay out the arithmetic of a typical day for you:
6:15 Wake up, try to stumble my way into pants, shirt, shoes and get out the door with my lunchbox in tow.
6:30 Fall into a bus seat and resume sleeping in fetal position with my iPod on ( the iPod makes them think I'm listening to music...that's right, I love this music so much that I'm closing my eyes, lips parted and drooling - I REALLY love this band)
6:55 Get on the subway, resume position
7am Get to the gym and pretend that I like working out for the next hour. Do that thing where I squat 300 times and look like I'm peeing while feeling like I am about to die from a heart attack? I LOVE that thing!
9am Real work, un-interupted phone answering, email returning, expense doing goodness for the next 4 hours until...
1 Lunch! This is the part of the day where for one hour only I pretend I have a different life. One where I can walk leisurely through parks or curse the 20 yards in the rain that stand between me and the frozen yogurt man.
2pm Back to the grind. More coffee, more coffee, more coffee.
6 pm Start the trek home, I haven't done anything "taxing" yet I am exhausted and barely making it from work to the bus.
7pm HOME! I feel like I won a prize and also like my bed has some kind of Jenny magnet that makes me collapse forward, coat and bags still on me. There is just something so wonderful about doing a face plant into your bed.
7:15 (Yes, I stayed in the face plant for 15 minutes - don't judge me) I finally turn over, not ready to move yet and start thinking about dinner. I consider the amount of cash I have, how much I want Chinese food, how much I want pizza, how much I don't want to go outside, how much I don't want to cook and then finally I bite the bullet and just head to the kitchen where I'm hoping that magic will happen and chinese food and pizza will appear in the fridge.
8pm After lots of waxing and waning I go with pasta which is finally ready and I sit on my bed, turn on the boob tube, and eat.
It is now 8:30 pm and, I don't know if you have been following but, I have spend a grand total of 14 hours and 15 minutes of my life surviving, just surviving.

They say that time flies and it does. I'm starting to realize that the way you get through it, the way you love it, and the only way it makes sense is to put yourself in the pilot seat.
That said, Grad school better watch it, because I am about to kick it's ass.
My trajectory is focused and I am ready.
10 schools are on the list which means 10 auditions, 10 applications, and about 1 million things to do - so, God, do you think I could have an extension? I just need a little more time...


-j

1 comment:

olddominionoldies said...

I just need a little more time - ah - don't we all? Love ya lots, the Pavs