Friday, February 8, 2008

Step, Kick, Kick, Leap, Kick, Touch, Again....

It has been three weeks since the move out here to New Yorksey. Three weeks with no gym membership. Three weeks with no dance classes. I have been going crazy.

So yesterday I was in the city by this dance studio I have been wanting to try out for a while. I brought my jazz shoes to an audition (just in case) and thought "what the hell" so I went into the studio ready for a workout.

I went up to the counter to register for this intermediate jazz class. The people behind the desk tell me "there are 2 classes at the same time tonight. Tell me about yourself and I'll tell you which one you should take." Okay, great. I tell them my experience and they tell me I will definitely want to take S's dance class (which I did not realize at the time, was 2 hours long).

So I walk in to S's class where they are already warming up. I kind of get the feeling I'm a little out of place during the warm-ups but I think it's because I'm new to this class and I'm not familiar with their routine. We get to across the floors where he's having us do arabesque, pique turn, reverse step, step, prepare, triple pirouette. Again, arabesque, pique turn, reverse step, step, prepare, triple pirouette. Oh. My. God. THEY ARE PROFESSIONAL DANCERS! I'm feeling completely unprepared (and as an added bonus, of course, I decided to wear my glasses today...) But I stick with it and flop and fall all the way through the across the floor excercises. Phew... water break.

I go up to the teacher to introduce myself and say, "Hi S. I'm sorry, but this doesn't seem like an Intermediate level dance course." His response is "It shouldn't, it's advanced. And I also have an advanced beginner course after this one that can be quite challenging for some" HA! Ouch. I say "well, you are amazing" and walk away to go sit in a corner and cry.

Class is back. Only one hour left in this hell hole of insecurity. We start learning the combination. I'm actually doing a pretty good job of keeping up, even if I am incredibly out of my league.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Most of the combination stayed in my head and body- which is good.
Everytime I did a turn I was afraid my glasses were going to fly off and smack someone in the face- which is not good.

Although I think S was impressed that I stuck it out and gave it my all, I don't think he was very impressed when I walked up to him after class and said "Thank you so much. I'll definitely be back in a year or so when I'm ready for this." Whoops.

Well anyway, I got my workout... Everyone needs to be humbled every now and then, right??

~B

2 comments:

Beastarzmom said...

so maybe in less than a year you go back and impress the hell out of him by being right there with the rest of them.

or maybe you just don't care about the whole impress the dance instructor dude and move on.

Good job for sticking with it - and what a great workout!

Tara Salem Artistry said...

DAMN TV is right....Well way to stick it out and NOT cry in a corner (I would have)! You should try and actual intermediate class that is only 1 hour!